Nearly two million people in the United States will be diagnosed with cancer each year. If you are a family caregiver for an elderly adult who has recently been diagnosed with cancer and has decided to pursue a treatment, the level of care and support you give them will make a tremendous difference in how they get through this journey.
Pursuing cancer treatment is not easy, and your elderly parent will need as much support and care as they can get, which may include considering home health care for them. Adding an in-home senior care services provider into your care routine with your elderly adult as they fight cancer is a fantastic way to help them stay as healthy as possible and make them most out of life as they pursue their treatment.
Some of the ways home health care can help a senior who is pursuing cancer treatment include:
- Handling tasks throughout the home such as laundry and dishes so your parent can conserve energy and direct it toward getting through their treatments.
- Providing transportation to doctor’s appointments and treatments so your parent can arrange this care on their own schedule rather than always having to rely on you.
- Offering medication reminders that will help your parent stay compliant with their medications and treatments at home so they can get the most benefit possible.
- Preparing meals and snacks that offer high nutrition that will help to keep their body strong and support their immune system as much as possible.
- Companionship and emotional support when they are dealing with challenging issues and emotional responses to what they are going through.
You are very likely to come to a time in your caregiver journey when you are unable to give your senior the consistent care you usually do. This can be because you become sick, you are caring for sick child, you need to attend an activity or event away from your parent, or you simply need some time away from your care responsibilities to relax and recuperate. When this happens, respite home health care can be invaluable.
With this type of care, a respite in-home health care services provider steps in to provide urgent or temporary care for your it senior. They will stick to your senior’s schedule as much as possible to keep them stay safe and healthy while you are away. This allows you to focus completely on what is keeping you from your care routine so you can come back refreshed.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional Home Health Care Services in Union County NJ, please talk to the caring staff at Generations Home Health Care today. Providing Home Care in Somerset, Essex, Union, Morris and Hunterdon Counties. Call us today at (908) 290-0691 or (973) 241-4534.
Latest posts by Susan Myer, RN, BSN, CCRN, CDP (see all)
- Are Your Parents Practicing Healthy Eating Habits? - May 22, 2019
- Making Family Meetings Part of Your Caregiving Efforts - May 8, 2019
- Is a Lift Chair the Right Tool for Your Senior? - April 16, 2019